The City offers affordable and comprehensive Health Insurance plans to all eligible full-time employees and retirees through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBS) and Health New England (HNE). Both BCBS and HNE offer a HMO and PPO option. HNE also offers a High Deductible HMO option. Click on the links below for more detailed information regarding each plan.
The Department of Labor (DOL) requires that all health insurance carriers create a “Summary of Benefits & Coverage” (SBC) for each plan and that the employer make it available to employees eligible for the health plan. The information in these SBCs will help you compare the various HMO, PPO and High Deductible plans offered by BlueCross BlueShield (BCBS) and Health New England (HNE).
Please be aware: The format for the SBC is standardized by the DOL and certain aspects of the form cannot be customized. As you review these form, we would like to point out that:
- As noted on the last page of the SBCs, the Coverage Examples provided in the SBC is just an example of how plans apply deductibles, co-pays and coinsurance. The amounts shown are NOT the deductibles, co-pays or coinsurance amounts in the City’s plans. The DOL does NOT allow BCBS or HNE to customize the examples to their client’s plans.
- The BCBS and HNE plans both have deductibles for certain medical events. BCBS typically noted it in the Limitations & Exceptions section, while HNE shows it on Page 1 under “What is the overall deductible”.
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Health New England
- HNE HMO Plan Summary
- HNE Wise Max HDHP Summary
- HNE PPO Summary
- HNE Additional Information
- HNE Direct Member Services
- New Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage Options and Your Health Coverage
- Section 125 Enrollment Election Form
- Medicare Part D Creditable Coverage Notice