How Do I Register To Vote?

Step 1 Button


You must be a United States citizen and a resident of Massachusetts to vote. You can register to vote starting at the age of 16 but cannot vote until you are 18 years old.

You must register 10 days before all primaries and general elections. The deadline also applies to when you change your address, name or political party.

If you’re 18 after the voter registration deadline but before Election Day, you can register to vote. You still need to register by the deadline though.

If you moved within Westfield — or moved to a City or Town from another part of Massachusetts — you’ll have to re-register with your new address. You can register as soon as you move to your new address.

Step 2 Button

The state online system is the easiest way to register. You can register to vote, make changes to your contact information, and change your party status.

Visit the state’s Voter Registration website. You'll need:

  • a valid driver's license, learner's permit, or State ID, and
  • a signature on file with the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

If you don't have an ID, you can print, complete and mail the voter registration form.

If you have questions about the website, contact the state Elections Division at (617) 727-2828.


Voters' Bill of Rights


The state currently recognizes three parties: Democratic, Libertarian and Republican


The state doesn't use the term “Independent.” Just check the box for “no party” (UNENROLLED) instead. You can still vote in the primaries if you’re Unenrolled, you just have to "declare a party" when you check-in on primary day.  Regardless of your ballot choice on Primary Election Day, your party enrollment will remain as Unenrolled.  If you would like to change your political party, you may complete a Party Change Card form or change it online.


They’re created when 50 or more registered voters request a change of designation with the Secretary of the Commonwealth. Designations are usually based on a certain cause or belief. You can search the Massachusetts Directory of Political Parties and Designations.

The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles will also take your completed registration form. Check the Registry's website to find a location near you.