Arm Brook Park - "A Dog Friendly Area"
Located on 125 Lockhouse Road in Westfield, MA, The Parks and Recreations Department for the City of Westfield is pleased to announce Arm Brook Park - "A Dog Friendly Area".
Dog Park Rules and GuidelinesUpon entering the dog park, you agree to follow the safety rules and guidelines for the dog area:
- Leash your dog when entering and exiting the dog area and IMMEDIATELY upon any sign of aggression.
- Keep your dog within view and under control. Never leave your dog unattended.
- Clean up after your dog anywhere in the park. Plastic bags and poop dispensers are available on premise in order keep the park healthy and beautiful for all to enjoy.
- Limit (2) dogs per visit.
- Do not bring in aggressive dogs, female dogs in heat, very young puppies, and sick dogs. Dogs displaying aggressive behavior will be asked to leave.
- Smoking, food, and drink (except for training treats) are not allowed within the dog enclosure.
- Young children under the age of 8 are NOT ALLOWED in the enclosed area for their safety and children younger than 16 will have to be accompanied by an adult.
- Dogs must be licensed dogs and up to date with vaccinations.
- Dog tags must be worn or proper documentation must be accessible.
- Respect the park and everything in it, including animals. The park has been unused for many years,please keep all animal habitats clean and be careful of the wildlife. Be on your guard and watch your children at all times. Please help to keep this park clean of litter and use the trash barrels. And remember to pick up after your dog (s) with the waste bags and drop into dispensers.
Map of Arm Brook Park - "A Dog Friendly Area"Parking is located through the unlocked gate up the driveway.
We will accept donationsWith the help of donations to the Westfield Dog Bark Inc., the Parks and Recreation Department will accept gift donations to improve and expand the Arm Brook Park. The wish list includes dog playground equipment, mulch, more fenced areas for dogs, etc. The goal is to build a dog playground area as pictured to the right.
Parks and Recreation Department
C/O Arm Brook Gift Account
4 Holcomb Street
Westfield, MA 01085
If you have any questions, please contact the City of Westfield Parks and Recreation Department at (413) 572-6263. To donate to the Arm Brook Dog Gift Account Arm Brook Dog Park-Donation
- March 10, 2010
Westfield resident Edward Phillips approached the department and commission of the idea of having a dog park in Westfield. The commission supported the efforts to establish a dog park in a park or playground under the jurisdiction of the department. Arm Brook Park was the first location talked about.
- June, 2010
In the summer, Westfield Dog Bark Friends was organized to establish a fenced in area for a a off leash dog park. Edward Phillips, President, Marilyn Sandidge, Vice President, Lindsay Carr, Secretary and Mariah Strattner, Treasurer and many supporters from the Community.
- June 23, 2011
Parks & Recreation Commissioners approved a section area at Arm Brook Park located off Lockhouse Road in Westfield as an area to be used for a dog friendly area. Westfield Dog Bark Friends Inc. and the Parks & Recreation Department are working together in a joint effort to enhance the area into a beautiful off-leash dog playground where dogs and their owners can socialize.
- February 9, 2012
Public hearing held regarding dog park at Papermill Playground. City Council forms sub-committee regarding the dog park.
- February 16, 2012
Westfield Dog Bark Friends, Inc. receives 501 (c) tax status non-profit. Edward Phllips, President, Mariliyn Sandidge, Vice President, Lindsay Carr, Secretary, and Mariah Strattner, Treasurer and many friend supporters. Fundraising begins.
- October 21, 2013
The law department denied the request to Westfield Dog Bark Friends Inc. to lease the area at Arm Brook Park, and it would remain under the jurisdiction of the Parks and Recreation Department. Mayor Knapik gave approval for a fenced in area.
- November 18, 2013
Parks and Recreation Commissioners approved Dog Rules and Guidelines at Arm Brook Park.
- November 25, 2013
A fence and dog disposal containers with bags were installed by the fundraising efforts of Westfield Dog Bark Inc. Parks and Recreation installed a gate.
- December 16, 2013
The Parks and Recreation Commission approved to establish an account for Arm Brook Park to take in donations. Dawn Sienkiewicz, Commissioner, was voted to serve as the liaison to Westfield Dog Bark Friends Inc.
- April 14, 2014
Westfield Dog Bark Friends donate $200.00 to Parks and Recreation Department to establish an Arm Brook account to help with fundraising. Approval went to Mayor and City Council to accept the gift.
- Spring, 2014
Grand opening to be announced. Westfield Dog Bark Friends Inc. is a non-profit staffed by volunteers dedicated to working together with the parks and recreation department to maintain a safe, social, off-leash Dog Area at Arm Brook Park in the City of Westfield. Currently waiting for water lines and electricity funding by the city.
- September 4, 2014
City Council voted to establish a Arm Brook Park Gift account
- January 6, 2015
Proposal design for water lines to inside fenced area completed by: Steve Fernandes. Water Department and labor, equipment, supplies coordinated "In House" by David Billips, Superintendent of Water Resources, including his staff members Paul Mercadante has completed work to Steve Fernandes's design April 2015. Hats off to them and thank you!
- April 18, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. Westfield Dog Bark Friends grand opening date.Westfield Dog Bark Friends Inc. have been working diligently since 2010 raising funds and support from the community, parks and recreation commissioners and city officials to bring a safe, social, off-leash dog park to the City of Westfield. The dog friendly area Arm Brook Park has been in use since November 2013.Grand opening pictures
- Ribbon cutting photo, Ed Phillips, Marilyn Sandidge, Mariah Strattner and Lindsay Carr. Westfield Dog Bark Friends Members.