MissionThe mission of the department of public works is to preserve the integrity of the infrastructure in the City of Westfield through effective management and operation. Our goal is to serve the approximate 41,000 residents and ensure their safety.
The Department of Public Works is comprised of the following divisions:
- Highway: this division provides for the repair and maintenance of the highway and sidewalk system located throughout the community. Through effective programs, including patching, crack filling, sweeping, pavement management, street and regulatory sign replacement, crosswalk and line painting, in addition to the care and maintenance of our own vehicles. All administrative functions are assigned to this division.
- Land & Natural Resources: this division is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all city parks, including all school athletic fields. In addition, tree management and care are also provided on a daily basis.
- Parks & Recreation: this division is committed to enrich the quality of life through the promotion, development, and maintenance of public recreation and enrichment opportunities, park lands and related facilities.
- Refuse & Recycling: this division performs the curbside collection of all waste generated by Westfield residents. Through effective programs, items are collected on a weekly basis and disposed of in the most efficient manner. This division has received high marks from the State of Massachusetts for its efforts in recycling.
- Sewer: this division oversees the cleaning, repairing, and maintenance of the collection system located throughout the city with programs designed to enhance the performance of our treatment plant.
- Snow & Ice Control: during inclement weather, all are dedicated to providing public safety with safe and efficient treatment of our road system, through sensible salting and plowing.
- Wastewater: this division protects water quality and prevents pollution by providing wastewater treatment for the city's more than 5,000 wastewater customers. This division operates the city's six million gallon per day wastewater facility as well as 12 booster pumping facilities. The division meets its EPA and MA DEP permit limits at our treatment plant through operator vigilance and system maintenance and an active industrial pre-treatment program. For more information, see the Understanding Wastewater Pamphlet.
- Water: this division protects and enhances the health and economic stability of the City of Westfield and its residents through the provisioning of clean drinking water. The department is committed to providing reliable drinking water service with high quality customer service and at a reasonable cost and in an environmentally sensitive manner.
Emergency calls after hours or on weekends should be referred to the Westfield Police Department. You can call them at (413) 562-5411.